Technology

A car burned at Canoo’s headquarters right after a battery check

A auto at EV startup Canoo burned on August 24th just after lithium-ion batteries left within the car started a hearth. The neighborhood hearth section was able to extinguish the blaze and no a single was hurt, according to an incident report acquired by The Verge.

The fire took place in the parking large amount outside the house Canoo’s Torrance, California corporate business office, which was when the startup’s headquarters — before it commenced contacting Bentonville, Arkansas property in November.

Canoo’s VP of communications Agnes Gomes-Koizumi confirmed the fire happened following The Verge requested comment. “A small fireplace transpired numerous several hours right after the intentionally harmful testing of a battery module,” Gomes stated in an e-mailed statement, noting the module passed the check and did not ignite. The hearth took place for the reason that “someone inappropriately positioned the module in a sealed container,” she wrote. “The box the module was put in turned pressurized and resulted in the incident.”

The vehicle was not a single of Canoo’s prototypes, Gomes claimed, but a third-get together cargo car the business had rented or procured. The incident report lists it as a Ford. Canoo introduced a deal to use batteries from Panasonic subsidiary Sanyo in October. It is unclear who created the batteries involved in the fireplace.

Canoo is doing the job towards a purpose of commencing manufacturing on its electric powered vans in late 2022, however it has also been turning more than executives along the way — like, this month, dropping its chief know-how officer and two of the 5 remaining co-founders.

The enterprise joins some other EV startups in working with battery fires. A person of Faraday Future’s preproduction autos caught fireplace in 2018. A lot more recently, a prototype of Lordstown Motors’ electric pickup truck caught hearth in February 2021 throughout a highway examination.

Those people other fires originated from battery packs that had been powering the respective prototype cars. Canoo’s fire started out in the cabin of the third-social gathering car, according to the report, exactly where lithium-ion batteries had been “being transported.”

Immediately after the fireplace was extinguished, an officer from Los Angeles County’s Overall health Hazmat staff was named to the scene to aid investigate the battery explosion. The continues to be of the batteries had been put in a “trash can loaded with water,” per Health Hazmat’s guidelines. The Torrance Fire Department’s report claims the fireplace did an approximated $45,000 worth of destruction, like $10,000 in property harm.

The hearth section was on the scene for 3 and a half hrs, even though the report doesn’t say how extended it took to extinguish the blaze. “The facility was opened the up coming working day and has been working generally,” Gomes claimed.

The report lists “improper container or storage procedure” and “[u]nattended or unsupervised person” as variables that contributed to the hearth. Torrance Fire Office did not answer to many emailed requests for remark, and LA County’s Wellness Hazmat crew declined to make anyone out there for an job interview.

Source hyperlink

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button